Sunscreen is essential nowadays. Most of us understand the need for it, or eventually come around to its importance. With the amount of sunscreen products flooding our store shelves, I wanted to take a moment to address something really important. Some sunscreens are better than others. In fact, some are downright dangerous. Thankfully, there are precautions we can take to protect ourselves from toxic chemicals. Because we cannot avoid the sun, we need it survive, but we can lessen our toxic exposure. Learn all about this and more in this Wellness Roundup: Safer Sunscreen for All.
Photo by Jenn Evelyn-Ann on Unsplash
Did you know safer products don’t just end with sunscreen? Learn all about how and why to clean up your personal care routine.
Wellness Roundup: Safer Sunscreen For All
Why to Choose Safer
Did you know sunscreen is one of the dirtiest products on the market? Many are made with chemicals linked to allergies, endocrine disruption, and impaired reproductive function.
Especially for women and children, with their fragile hormonal systems, paying attention to chemicals in our products is of utmost importance.
This is because sunscreens contain estrogen mimickers. What on earth is that you ask? They are toxins that mimic actual estrogen, so our bodies recognize them as such. Excess estrogen, especially this fake kind, can lead to all sorts of serious health complications. At best you may deal with hormonal imbalance, and at worst breast cancer.
Recognize this popular product? You have likely seen it at the supermarket or drugstore, and it happens to be the one I used for nearly a decade.
It has the absolute WORST rating on EWG. Yep, it scores a 10 on EWG’s Database and includes many of the worst ingredient offenders.
Then there is the fact that some of these chemicals are linked to cancer. Vitamin A is linked to cancer development, and a contributor to potential Vitamin A toxicity.
There are dozens of potential risks in many sunscreen products. Here are just a few of the worst offenders to avoid:
- Oxybenzone – linked to hormone disruption and skin allergies
- Octinoxate – linked to hormone disruption and skin allergies
- Homosalate – linked to hormone disruption
- Fragrance – I have reviewed the dangers of fragrance in the past, and it applies here as well
How to Choose Safer
Now that we know why to choose safer, here are a few tips on how to select safer products.
Just as you would with any food product, read your product labels very carefully. Some have hundreds of ingredients, many of which we can’t even begin to pronounce! This is your first warning sign to stay away.
A few other things to look out for:
- Natural. You would think this would be safe, but there is no qualifications for a product to be natural. Remember, personal care products in the U.S. are not regulated, and this includes sunscreen, so anyone can list “natural” without a quality check.
- Organic. Look for the USDA organic seal for official proof, or check the labels for verification that the product was certified by another organic group.
- Zinc Oxide. This is the most effective sun protectant, and according to many in the healthy living world, the best option for safer sunscreen.
Do Your Research
Take a few minutes to research the sunscreens you have at home right now. Run them through the EWG Skin Deep Database (many can be scanned directly by the app), or search for them by name.
Before shopping for new brands, consult the EWG 2018 Sunscreen Guide and filter by products with a rating of 1-2 (ideal).
Did you know Beautycounter Countersun products are rated 1-2 on EWG’s Skin Deep Database? These high-performing products are the first of their kind, blocking UVA, UVB, and even Blue Light.
Find Trusted Brands
Safer sunscreen products are expanding, with more user-friendly, functional, and affordable options popping up each year. Here are some of our current favorites. These are chosen based on functionality (easy to use, doesn’t leave a harsh white cast), as well as cost, and effectiveness.
- Thinkbaby or Thinkably Sport. A great affordable option perfect for the kiddos. I am told in good authority that this goes on smoothly and works wonders for a family at only $10 each.
- Beautycounter Countersun Lotion. This easy to use lotion is great on face and body, and a personal favorite as a base under makeup.
- Juice Beauty Sport Sunscreen. Made with partially organic ingredients, this sunscreen is another great all over option.
- All Good Kid’s Sunscreen Butter Stick. I used this brand for years, and still have some stored in my spare purses and beach bags. It is a bit on the think side, but very smooth and easy to apply. At under $10, you cannot beat it.
- Beautycounter Countersun Stick. This differs from all other sun sticks on the market in that is protects from 3 harmful rays, even including Blue Light.
What safer sun options do you use at home? Let us know in the comments below!
There’s more where that came from, read to learn all about Choosing Safer Personal Care, plus the Importance of a Healthy Home.
Join the Our Food Fix Family
Subscribe to our list to receive FREE recipes, healthing living resources, and planning and efficiency tips.